Deep Geothermal Drillings on Piton De La Fournaise Volcano (La Réunion)
In 2000, the Regional Council of La Réunion started a project for the evaluation of the geothermal resource on the island. New geological, geophysical and geochemical surveys have been carried out between 2001 and 2004. In 2005, a decision to drill 2 or 3 reconnaissance, 1-1.5 km deep, wells on Piton de la Fournaise Volcano have been taken. Drilling operations should be carried out in 2008.
The Regional Council of La Réunion has expressed a strong willingness to open the drillings (with some restrictions) to the scientific community to encourage original research projects aimed at studying the hot spot volcanism and associated topics. The French INSU (National Institute for Universe Sciences) is organising and funding the response of the scientific community. ICDP is a major partner of the project through the use of DIS, its assistance in borehole logging and in the organization of an international workshop.
(©Oehler - Piton de la Fournaise central cone from the "Plaine des Sables")
Asia, Ind. Ocean, La Reunion, Piton de la Fournaise Volcano, France
21° 14' 13.38'' S, 55° 40' 29.07'' E (Please scroll down to end of page for more information.)
Project Start and End
- not determined yet
Programs and Funding
- Regional Council of La Reunion (Région Réunion)
- National Institute for Universe Sciences
- International Continental Scientific Drilling Program
- Jean Francois Lénat, National Institute for Universe Sciences
Partners and Contractors
- Laboratoire GéoSciences Réunion
- Bureau de recherches géologiques et minières, Compagnie Francaise de Géothermie (Services)
- German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling, (Operational Support Group OSG/ICDP)
Drilling Scientific Valorisation, Hot Spot Volcanism, ICDP-2007/06, La Reunion, Piton De La Fournaise, REUNION, Thermal Regimes, Volcanic Systems
|Daily News from Sites|
depth 5912.59m,well logging
Image of the day.
For contact information about the ICDP members please select the first letter of the name from the list below.
To see the full information or update your personal data you must login first.