GFZ-Underground-Lab in the education and research mine "Reiche Zeche" of the Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg
The GFZ-Underground-Lab is situated 150 m below surface on the first floor in the education and research mine "Reiche Zeche" of the Technical University of Freiberg. Surrounded by three galleries the measuring site comprises a block of homogeneous high grade gneiss of almost 50 m width and 100 m length ensuring constant environmental conditions. Along the galleries over thirty 3-component one and two meter long geophone anchors are installed with a distant of 4-9 m from each other. Two horizontal 8 ½" boreholes of 20 and 30 meters were drilled into the measuring site. In 2011 the GFZ-Underground-Lab has been extended by a chamber 10 m above the galleries. From up there a 70 m 8 ½" vertical borehole has been drilled through the gneiss block. All boreholes are open and completely cored.
The Underground Lab Is used to test newly developed seismic systems and there components e.g. receivers and sources for 3-dimensional high resolution seismic imaging and tomography surveying.
Figure 1: Research and Education Mine "Reiche Zeche" (©WB GFZ)
Figure 2: GFZ-Underground Lab, galleries and boreholes (©Grzegorz Kwiatek)
Europe, Germany, Saxonia, Freiberg, Reiche Zeche
50° 55' 42.11'' N, 13° 21' 25.90'' E (Please scroll down to end of page for more information.)
Project Start and End
- The measurements have started in 1998 and still continue
Programs and Funding
- Federal Ministry for the Environment Germany, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety, Renewable Energy
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research Germany
- GEOTECHNOLOGIEN - Federal Ministry of Education and Research Germany
- Deutsche Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Erdöl, Erdgas und Kohle e.V.
- Rüdiger Giese, German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling
- Katrin Jaksch, German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling
- Kay Krüger, German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling
Partners and Contractors
- University of Karlsruhe, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, Geophysical Institute
- Leibniz Institute for Applied Geophysics
- Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg, Institute of Drilling Technology and Fluid Mining
- Technical University Bergakademie Freiberg, Institute of Geophysics and Geoscience Informatics
3-component Reflection Seismic, 3D Borehole Measurements, 3D Underground Lab, Europe, Freiberg, Germany, GFZ-ULAB, High Resolution, Reiche Zeche, Saxonia, Seismic Calibration, Seismic Receiver, Seismic Sounding, Seismic Sources, Seismic Tomography, Seismic Validation
Drilling of the 70m deep vertical borehole was finished by April 2012
No URLs found for this project
|Daily News from Sites|
depth 5912.59m,well logging
Image of the day.
For contact information about the ICDP members please select the first letter of the name from the list below.
To see the full information or update your personal data you must login first.