Lake El'gygytgyn Drilling Project
The polar regions are known to play a major role in the global climate system influencing both oceanic and atmospheric circulation through strong feedback interactions involving ocean, atmosphere, cryosphere, and terrestrial processes. One approach towards the understanding of ice-land-ocean interactions to evaluate the Arctic climate system, as well as linkages between the Arctic and the global climate, is to compare glacial, terrestrial, and marine archives over several glacial/interglacial cycles when Milankovitch-forcings and northern hemisphere boundary conditions were not always same....
Asia, Russia, Siberia, Chukotka, Lake El'gygytgyn
67° 30' N, 172° 5' E (Please scroll down to end of page for more information.)
Project Start and End
- Permafrost Drilling: End of October - Begin of December 2008
- Lake Drilling: January - May 2009
Programs and Funding
- Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research
- Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany
- ICDP Germany - German Science Foundation
- International Continental Scientific Drilling Program
- Russian Academy of Sciences
- U.S. National Science Foundation
- Julie Brigham-Grette, University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Geosciences
- Martin Melles, University of Cologne, Institute of Geology and Mineralogy, Quaternary Geology
- Pavel Sergeevich Minyuk, Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, North-East Interdisciplinary Science Research Institute
- Christian Koeberl, University of Vienna, Center for Earth Sciences, Department of Lithospheric Research
Partners and Contractors
- University of Massachusetts Amherst, Department of Geosciences
- University of Cologne, Institute of Geology and Mineralogy, Quaternary Geology
- Far Eastern Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences, North-East Interdisciplinary Science Research Institute
- Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
- Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute
- DOSECC, Inc.
- EBA Engineering Consultants Ltd.
- German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling, (Operational Support Group OSG/ICDP)
- German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 7.6, Computing Center
- University of Alaska at Fairbanks, Institute of Northern Engineering, Water and Environmental Research Center
- University of Minnesota at Minneapolis, Department of Earth Sciences, National Lacustrine Core Repository
- University of Vienna, Center of Earth Sciences
Arctic, Climate Change, ELGYGYTGYN, El'gygytgyn, Global Environment, ICDP-2005/01, Impact Crater, Lake Drilling, Paleoclimatology, Russia, Siberia
- Daily News
- Internal Data Lake E
- Workshops Lake E
- Public Data
- Press & Media
|Daily News from Sites|
depth 5912.59m,well logging
Image of the day.
For contact information about the ICDP members please select the first letter of the name from the list below.
To see the full information or update your personal data you must login first.