The Outokumpu Deep Drilling Project
GTK with its research teams is responsible of the basic geological and petrophysical investigations of the core, geophysical logging results, fluid sampling and hydraulic testing. Further, we are involved in themes such as modelling the magnetic and gravity fields, and petrological investigations of the cores. The basic operations of the project included drilling the hole to 2.5 km depth with continuous coring, geophysical loggings using 20 different methods, as well as hydrogeological sampling and hydraulic permeability measurements.
The Outokumpu Deep Geolaboratory: Once the basic drilling, logging and sampling operations are over, the borehole will be left open and our aim to provide the borehole for national and international use as a deep laboratory facility for different short and long-period experiments to be carried out in the borehole. The site has been leased from the local municipality by GTK on a long-term basis, and follow-up projects, additional fluid sampling and monitoring projects can be planned to extend for several years after 2005. Basic facilities (warm hut, electricity, etc.) required by monitoring computers and other devices will be provided by GTK on the site.
(Figure ©:Geological Survey of Finland)
Europe, Finland, Eastern Finland, Svecofennian Orogeny, Outokumpu
62° 43' 4'' N, 29° 3' 43'' E (Please scroll down to end of page for more information.)
Project Start and End
- Begin of drilling April 2004
- End of drilling early 2005
Programs and Funding
- Ilmo Tapio Kukkonen, University of Helsinki, Department of Physics
Partners and Contractors
- Geological Survey of Finland, Section of Geophysics, South Finland Unit
- German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 6.4, Centre for Scientific Drilling, (Operational Support Group OSG/ICDP)
- German Research Centre for Geosciences, Section 7.6, Computing Center
- Ministry of Geology of Russia, NEDRA Drilling Enterprise
- RWTH Aachen University, E.ON Energy Research Center, Applied Geophysics and Geothermal Energy
Finland, ICDP-2005/07, Ophiolites, OUTOKUMPU, Precambrian, Saline Fluids, Thermal Regimes
Drilling operations and downhole logging have been finalized, scientific evaluations are ongoing
|Daily News from Sites|
depth 5912.59m,well logging
Image of the day.
For contact information about the ICDP members please select the first letter of the name from the list below.
To see the full information or update your personal data you must login first.